Sunday, July 20, 2008

Bulgaria

Sofia
July 8-10th 2008
Sofia is surrounded by mountains and is
Day 4 cont
I landed around 5:40pm, ten minutes late, to Sofia. I got some local currency out of the ATM, (I love that in Europe they give you small money, not just 20’s) and attempted to find my mini bus. I soon learned that the mini-bus and normal bus only come go to the hold airport terminal; which doesn’t make a whole lot of since. Instead I took a cab. It was only about 5 Euros, which was worth it. I went into the hostel and they told me that my reservation was for the other hostel down the street. So the nice old lady walked me over to the other hostel and I checked in to the new place. I was in a room with about a dozen other people and I don’t remember signing up for a room that large, but oh well. I went out after checking in, just to get some fresh air because they allow smoking in the common room, and I was dying. I bought some water, tissues, apple juice, flip flops, an Ice cream cone, and took some pictures! Such random stuff! Then I went back to the hostel and watched TV for a while before going to bed.

Day 5
Once again I didn’t see a lot of sights. After breakfast and some morning TV, decided to head out with no map. I didn’t have a destination but I was in the mood to shop, I wanted a new dress for Greece. I probably went into every store, regardless of whether I could afford the clothing or not! I spent the entire afternoon checking out stores in search of a dress. It turned out to be the greatest idea, because I happened to see a lot of the city, and get a feel for the culture. I was not expecting to find so many shops in Sofia, but what they lack in sights, they have replace with shops. For lunch I had an American style hotdog, which was freaking good. It was so good I made a point to go back and have another. After the shopping I grew a little tired and in need of R&R, so I returned to the hostel. I hung out in the common room for a while, then went to read in the bed room, where luckily no one was. I read for an hour then took a nap; and what a glorious nap it was! After the nap I was ready to go back out and see some more of the city. I walked and took some pictures, growing hungrier by the minute. I stopped at Subway to add more Americanism to my day! I ate my sandwich in the park while watching some kids play. When I finished the sun had set and it was time for me to go back. At the hostel, I packed and prepared to leave the next day. I watched some TV then went to bed.


Day 6
I didn’t hear my alarm go off, because the night before I had put earplugs in, due to this annoying guy’s snoring. But fortunately for me I had woke up on my own, and started to get ready. This guy came in shortly after I woke up and said that he was going to wake me up because he hard my alarm go off. I thought that was really nice, and If I hadn’t woken up he would have saved my ass! Anyway, I fixed myself some breakfast since the hostel people were still sleeping. I had to wake them up though to call a cab and she didn’t seem too happy about that! I went down stairs to meet my cab and found it waiting for me. We encountered little traffic and arrived at the airport within 10mins. I checked in and was in the air at around 10am. I arrived in Athens at 11:45am… read about the rest of the trip on the next blog about the Greek Islands!



Bulgaria is a 3. Sofia has a lot of shopping but not many sights, those lie outside the city!

No comments: