Thursday, January 8, 2009

Peace Corps Intro

My Adventures as a Peace Corps Volunteer!

I will be starting a new adventure this year as a Peace Corps Volunteer!!!

Where: Nicaragua, Central America. (I may live in a small town or big city, depending on need!)

When: Official Service: August 1, 2009- July 31st, 2011 (I leave home on May 12, 2009 for staging, then I leave the states on the May 13 for a 10 week training program in Nicaragua, before service starts.)

What: Program: Small Business Development Job: Small Business Educator/Advisor. (I will be teaching business at a high school or secondary school.  I will also be giving lectures to local business owners and providing advice as well as technical training and support. Furthermore, I will work with university students to provide mentors for my high school students. I will also be working with business owners to create internships for students interested in business as a career. and much more!)

How: Main mode of transport will depend on my location it could be by bike, on foot, bus, or even by horse (which would be sweet)! I will teach business in Spanish... AHHHH. I am very excited to be able to help people, while putting my education to good use and learning another language! It is similar to most jobs, I work 9-5 (theatrically), 7 days a week, have vacation, get paid (through living expenses), but it will be hands on and the daily work will vary!

Visiting: Anyone is welcome to come and visit me. I will put you to work and show you what I have learned about the country and people. If you are thinking of visiting, it would have to be after the end of September 2009. But we can discuss that when the time comes!!!

For more information about the Peace Corps go to http://www.peacecorps.gov/ .

Change of plans again! I was initially suppose to be going to Madagascar in February 2009, however it was delayed a month until March 9th. Now however, it has been cancelled due to political differences within the country. I have been re-assigned to Nicaragua, which I am very excited about!

 I will keep everyone up-to-date as best as possible while serving. I will send out another letter to friends and family, with Nicaragua information in it!. If you do have anymore questions please feel free to email me.

Wish me luck and come and visit!!

3 comments:

dlcurren said...

Hello Ashley,
My wife and I will be in Mad'car in Sep or maybe Oct. Both of us are volunteer PC recruiters and when we travel to faraway place, we always check out the local PC activities to make fils for our presentations. Maybe we'll see.

Clayton P. Carroll, II said...

Hey. My name's Clay. I'm a PC Invitee. I leave June 15th (barring any delay due to political unrest.) I'm invited as a TEFL. Hope to see you there!

Chance and Sarah said...

Hey, you need to talk to my brother. He'll be in Nicaraua (sp?) on May 3rd for the entire summer. How fun. I want to come and visit.