Monday, January 28, 2008

Estonia

Tallinn
January 21-23, 2008
The Tallinn reminded me a lot of Prague, especially in this picture!

Day 1
I flew from Stuttgart to Berlin Monday morning at 10am, then from Berlin on to Tallinn. I arrived in Estonia at around 5:20pm, and since it was already dark I decided to take a cab to the hostel. Which was a good Idea considering it was a new country; I don’t know the language and I didn’t want to figure out the buses or trams! I arrived at the hostel 30 minutes later, checked in, and spent the remainder of the night there. It was great. There were only 4 people staying at the hostel, but they were out for most of the night. So it was just me, the couch, and TV! I watched some shows in English and German, (it was weird that they had channels in German!) and some movies. It was relaxing and exactly what I needed after the exhausting two weeks of finals. I finally went to bed at around 11.


Day 2
Today I woke up at 10am, after a nice night sleep. I got dressed and headed out to explore the city. This is my first trip traveling alone, and although I was nervous at first, it turned out to be fun. I could see whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, and however fast I wanted! Don’t get me wrong, I love traveling with other people, it is much more fun, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it might be! Anyway, I basically just wondered around the city, without looking at a map, or thinking about where I wanted to go. Along my wondering path I saw many churches like, the Cathedral of St. Mary the Virgin, St. Nicholas’ church, St. Olav’s Church, Holy Spirit Church, and the most impressive of all was Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. Besides churches I also saw Tallinn town hall, the town wall, and Kiek in de Kök (a massive defense tower). For lunch I stopped and ate at Old Estonia Restaurant and had Estonian Herring. (I thought I would get a good feel for the food culture!!) It was quite good. By 1:30pm I had seen all of old town I wanted to see and it began to snow, so I decided to go to the movies. The theater was really nice, showing English original versions! I saw P.S. I love You, National Treasure 2, and I am Legend. All very different types of movies! It was a good day!!! I got back to the hostel around 9pm, hung out for a little, watch TV then went to bed around 11.


Day 3
I woke up at 8:15 am, to catch a bus at 10 to Riga. I had to make my way to the bus station, which meant taking a tram and buying a ticket for it. I went to my stop, and found the little stand that sells the tickets, among many other things. The lady said “6 kroon.” I was like crap I only have 2 and some change, so I was going to chance not buying a ticket (people in Europe do it all the time), but instead I attempted to give her Euros. She wouldn’t take the Euros, but she gave me the ticket anyway. How nice! So I get on the tram, and took it to a stop, wasn’t sure which one because the announcement: one was in another language and two extremely incomprehensible! So before getting off I ask someone, “is this the stop for the bus station” and they were like yes, yes. So I got off, looked around and... “*%(#($*… *(#*$*$* No this wasn’t the correct stop!” Luckily for me, a nice girl whom spoke great English and told me to get back on the tram and take it 2 stops then walk back a little and you will see the bus station. So it did that and made it to the bus station! Finally! I sat there and waited for an hour, boarded the bus and was off to Riga…

It was so random seeing this resturant in Estonia!
I liked Estonia, people there are very independent. At the movies there were a lot of people, men women, and teens that went alone. It was not unusual to see that at all there, which was very refreshing!

I give Estonia a 2.5. It was better than I expected, small and cute. It would be great in summer.

No comments: