Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Venice & Treviso, Italy

Venice
August 8-11th 2008

Venice was magical and mysterious with so much to offer.

Day 4 cont.
We finally arrived in Venice, found our hotel (Hotel Basilea) and checked in by 5:30pm. We were tired and didn’t want to see too much of the city without my sister, so we watched TV. We went for a walk/dinner hunt at around 7pm. We couldn’t really make up our minds as to which restaurant we wanted to eat at. So we passed a lot of places before settling on a somewhat expensive place. I got tortellini and Lee got Lasagna, they were the smallest portions I have even seen; and the total price was 23 Euros! Can you believe that crap? Anyway, after that annoying first dinner in Italy we decided to go back to the hotel and watch the Olympics. We were watching the Olympics for quite a while before we headed over to the train station to pick up my sister. Once there we learned the train was 45 min late, which was odd considering she transferred at a station that was only 10 minutes away. So she basically sat at Venice Mestre station for 45 minutes on the train, to go 10min! I was surprised that she wasn’t more annoyed, but she was always good at entertaining herself! Plus she got to see me, so of course she was happy!!! It was 2am when we finally got my sister, walked back to the hotel and went to bed!


Day 5
We woke up early, only because we didn’t want to miss breakfast, which was only served until 9:30. I went to eat first because we were sinking my sister into the hotel, and she insisted on eating breakfast! Who can blame her? Anyway, I went in first, ate, and then told them to come in because it seemed no one cared! After they ate breakfast, we all headed out to see Venice! We walked toward San Marco Square. On the walk we stopped in almost every store. My dad was determined to get all of his friends and close family a gift! We reminded him that we had plenty of cities left to see, and that he didn’t have to get them all there! Even after this remainder we still looked in all the shops, it wasn’t entirely his fault; my sister and I were also intrigued to see what Venice had to offer! Venice had a lot of handmade craft stores. There were glass blown objects, wooden toys, various hand sewn cloths, leather bound journals and much, much more! That day I think we each bought something. I got an authentic glass blown quill with ink, and a glass blown small multi-colored bottle. My sister bought a scarf and my dad bought a Venice inscribed apron and baby bib for his sister.

We finally made it to the square, after all the shopping, and took a lot of pictures. It was well past noon at this point and we were hungry. So we walked away from the square (where the food is cheaper) and ate at a nice restaurant. Although the restaurant was nice the service was not! The waitress was a total jerk, but the pizza was freaking good! After lunch we went to a hotel to buy tickets for a concert to be held that night, by the square. We were tired after all this so we decided to go back to the hostel and rest before the concert started at 8pm. When we were fully rested we walked back to the square and made it to the concert on time. We saw Vivaldi’s four seasons. It was lovely, and short, a good combination for my dad and sister! When the concert was finished, an hour later, we hung out in San Marco square. We took some pictures listened to music and walked around. On our way back to our hotel we stopped and had a slice of pizza. At the hotel we watched TV for a while then hit the sack.

Day 6

Since we had seen most of Venice by now, we decided that a day trip to another city was in order. We caught a train around 12:30 to Treviso (see other blog). After eating lunch is Treviso we decided to take the train to Venice Mestre and see what it had to offer. Not much actually. It didn’t help that it was Sunday and everything was closed. The only thing we could really do was sit on a bench and hangout. Needless to say we didn’t do that for long! We headed back to the train station, and were back in Venice St. Lucia by 6pm. We had dinner at a Chinese restaurant, went back to the hotel to pack, and went to bed.

Day 7

We woke up at 7:30am got dressed and went to breakfast. We all ate together this time, not really caring what they would say, since we were checking out. I was done eating first so I went to the train station to get the tickets. I had to wait in a long annoying line that is all too famous in Italy. Forever later, I had the tickets in my hand and was waiting for my sister and dad to arrive. I was a little agitated because the train was leaving soon and they still weren’t here. When they finally arrived we made our way to the track and found our seats on the train. Once we were settled I asked them what took them so long and my sister told me what happened: “When you left the guy at the front desk stopped us. He asked me which room I was staying in, and I told him I didn’t know. Then he told me that I was lying and that I was staying with you too (me and my dad). He yelled and said that I have to pay for breakfast. I said why? He yelled some more and we were going to pay him, but then he said ‘just get out of here’!” I was surprised at this tale and laughed at it, but my dad didn’t really think it was too funny! My sister and I laughed anyway. What did it matter? Everything worked out and we were leaving that place and heading to Florence now anyway!


Venice was a 3. Unique and pretty, but with a sinking future. What a shame.



Treviso
August 10th 2008

Like Venice, Treviso has many water ways. Unlke Venice, Treviso is dead on Sundays.

Day 6 cont.
From Venice St. Lucia we took a 12:30 train to Treviso, which is 45 minutes north of Venice. Upon arrival we looked for a map at the train station but didn’t find one, so we just started walking. We stopped in the first hotel that we saw and got a map there. Then we tried to decided what the point of interests where. There weren’t many. We stopped at McDonalds to share some curly fries and look at the map some more. We decided on a destination and headed there when the fries were gone. The destination was just a statue, which wasn’t very impressive. It was quite and all the stores were closed except food places because it was Sunday, so we ate gelato while sitting on some stairs. After Gelato we went to find lunch (kind of backwards uh)! We had pizza once again! It was pretty good, but it was ruined by all the smokers sitting by us. Yum, pizza and tobacco! Anyway after lunch we headed back to the train station since there really wasn’t anything else left to see. It was a short day trip but it was cheap and we wanted to explore more of Italy.

Treviso was a 2.5. I think if the stores were open and people were out, it would have ranked higher. But since there were neither I have to rank it at a 2.5.

No comments: