Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Portugal

Porto
March 30, 2007


My sister and I did this Portugal trip in between Madrid and Barcelona.

Day 3
My sister and I flew in from Madrid to Porto, a small town on the north shore of Portugal. We stayed in a hostel called Pensao Estoril**, which was located right in the center of town. After dropping our stuff off, we went exploring. We walked down to where a tram was, got on it and let it take us to its end. When the end came we walked around some exploring the shore, however, since it was rainy we decided to head back early to the tram. We probably got on the wrong tram like 4 times before we got the right one to take us back to the hostel! After getting back we were kind of tired so we decided to call it an early night. I watched some American TV!!! So exciting!! Nina made a phone call, which ended up being a total disaster. The hostel was trying to charge her $30 for making the call. They yelled, we hid in our room, and made a hasty retreat the next morning to the train station!!!!









Lisbon
March 31-April 1 2007



Lisbon was probably my most favorite town, I could have actually stayed there and lived.

Day 4
My sister and I took a train from Porto to Lisbon. We slept most of the 2.5hrs, but I was a little worried about our luggage for a lot of the trip! When we arrived in Lisbon we were a little lost, but with some help we found the bus that would take us to our hostel Pensao Praca De Fiqueria***. Which was situated right in the middle of a famous area, we got lucky on that one! After our total loss and confusion of finding the hostel, we dropped our stuff off and ate in the square. Then walked up to Castelo Sao Jorge, and stayed there almost till sunset!! That night we ate at a cute little bistro just off the square.





Day 5
Today was one of the most amazing days of my life. I cannot tell you how amazing Lisbon is. We woke early and went to: Alfama, Belem to Torre De Belem, Mosteiro Dos Jeronimos, Museu De Arte Popular, Se de Lisboa, and Avenida Palace. We took trolleys, buses and walked almost everywhere around Lisbon. We had bought a one day bus and trolley pass unlimited, so we took advantage of it. We got lost a couple of times, which was the best thing that could have happened, because we saw many different sides of Lisbon. We made it down to the harbor, where there is a huge mall, and a suspended ride that goes along the coast. So fantastic! Later that night we headed back to our hostel and went to dinner. Bad Idea!! We ate at this restaurant that charged us for bread, butter and cheese that we did not ask for and they set on the table. My sister argued with them for like 30 min in Spanish, they threatened to call the police, so we paid in full and left! Wonderful trip!!





Lisbon is one of the most picturesque places I have ever been too. I fell in love with that wonderful place in only two days. I would suggest that trip to anyone, and would go back there in a second. I give it 5 stars.

1 comment:

Blog said...

Lisbon is indeed 5 stars!
But next time you go, remember that in Portugal everything that is placed on your table at a restaurant, and you eat, you have to pay for. That's not the case in some other countries such as the U.S., but that's how it is in Portugal. Next time, just refuse it so you won't be charged :-)
Happy travels!